Brave New Voices quarterfinals
The Center for Investigative Reporting – parent organization to California Watch and The Bay Citizen – recently launched a new partnership with San Francisco-based nonprofit Youth Speaks. Since 1998, Youth Speaks' Brave New Voices Festival, the largest ongoing spoken-word event in the world, has brought together young artists, educators and emerging leaders to celebrate artistic empowerment and youths’ voices.
Youths from across the country will compete with their best spoken-word material to land a spot at the July 20 semifinals. The competition, held throughout Berkeley, is free to the public, with priority seating given to the youths.
Semifinals and a town hall will be held July 20, and finals are July 21.
Today's events will be from 10 a.m. to noon and 2 to 4 p.m. The locations are as follows:
- David Brower Center (Goldman Theater), 2150 Allston Way
- David Brower Center (Tamalpais Room, second floor), 2150 Allston Way
- David Brower Center (Kinzie Conference Room), 2150 Allston Way
- Aurora Theatre Co., 2081 Addison St.
- The Marsh Arts Center (cabaret), 2120 Allston Way
- The Marsh Arts Center (main stage), 2120 Allston Way
- Hotel Shattuck Plaza (Crystal Ballroom), 2086 Allston Way
- YMCA-PG&E Teen Center, 2111 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
- Subterranean Arthouse, 2179 Bancroft Way
- Pegasus Books, 2349 Shattuck Ave.